Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    What We Do

    The Human Resources Department has 3 main areas of focus:

    1. Deploying highly effective staff to high-needs schools to support the positive environment needed to cultivate our students and help them become productive members of the community.
    2. Labor and Employee Relations is responsible for administering the District's fourteen Collective Bargaining Agreements and policies impacting all employees, including contract grievance procedures, employee accommodations and allegations of discrimination.
    3. The Employee Assistance Program is a free and confidential counseling and referral resource available to all Seattle Public Schools employees and their family members.

    Fingerprint questions (how to schedule, where is it done, if they need to get them done, etc.)

    All Seattle Public School employees, when hired, will need to be fingerprinted. To schedule a fingerprinting appointment, please go to

    Fingerprinting will be done at the Security Office in the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence(JSCEE) building. Payments for fingerprinting are made in Human Resources on the third floor of JSCEE. Read more on our Fingerprinting FAQ.

    When will I hear back regarding my application? When did they interview and has it been filled? Who do I need to get in touch with?

    All applications are reviewed by the hiring department. The most-qualified applicants may be invited to participate in additional selection activities such as tests or interviews. Please be patient. After the position closes, we carefully review all applications received. This may take several weeks, and the actual selection and hiring process may last from four (4) weeks to several months. If you are selected to move forward in the application process, the hiring department will contact you with further information. If you would like an update on the status of the selection process, we suggest you contact the department hiring for the position.

    How can I become an emergency sub.? (without a teaching certificate)

    We are supporting Emergency Certificates in very rare circumstances to meet an urgent need, mainly in Special Ed. We are supporting Emergency intern sub certification, allowing some student teachers to sub for their mentor teacher only, upon Principal request and in agreement with their school. They are used only when a certificated substitute is not available. As a general policy we are not supporting Emergency certification. Please email us at or call 206-252-0215 for more information.

    What is the process to become a teacher in Seattle, and in the state of Washington?

    All teachers in Seattle Public Schools must have a teaching certificate. Washington state issues the Residency Teacher Certificate to most first-time applicants for a regular teaching certificate.

    The candidate must have:

    • Earned a bachelor's or higher degree from any regionally accredited college/university.
    • Completed any state's approved teacher preparation program. This would be either an approved program through a regionally accredited college or university, or an approved alternative-route program.


    If you have not completed a state approved program, individuals may verify at least 3 years of K-12 teaching experience outside Washington, and hold a regular certificate in another state.

    • In Washington there are 21 colleges/universities approved by the Professional Educator Standards Board to offer educator preparation programs.
    • Out-of-state applicants must pass a basic skills test (WEST-B) within 12 months of receiving a temporary permit. See teacher assessments.
    • Out-of-state applicants must pass an endorsement content knowledge test (WEST-E) within 12 months of receiving a temporary permit. See teacher assessments.

    The first certificate issued is the Residency Certificate (First Issue), which is valid until the holder is reported as employed by a Washington school district as a teacher with 1.5 FTE or more experience. This certificate must then be reissued with a three year expiration date.

    Visit our Careers page to apply for open positions that match your teaching credentials.

    I'm currently a teacher, how do I renew, when does my certificate expire, what do I do when I get my new certificate? etc.)

    Information on renewing your certificate can be found on the District website at this link, Information about your Washington State certificate. Certificate renewal is processed and obtain through OSPI (Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction).

    You can reach OSPI at
    P.O. Box 47200
    Olympia, WA 98504
    Telephone: (360)725-6396
    Fax: 360-586-0145

    Need to take the Parapro test?

    To schedule a Parapro testing appointment, please go to  Please contact the Human Resources Department front desk to ask about a study guide for the test. Contact: 206-252-0215 or

    Verification of employment questions (for mortgage loans, loan forgiveness, for transferring to other districts)

    Loan applications for houses, automobile, purchases and leases:
    Verifiers can call The Work Number 1-800-367-5690 or 1-800-424-0253 (TTY - hearing impaired) or visit their website For more information visit Verification of Employment.

    Loan forgiveness:
    Contact the HR Front Desk at 206.252.0215 or email

    Employees transferring to another district:
    To obtain verification of employment if transferring to another district, submit your signed authorization from your new employer to: Email:
    Fax: 206-743-3021
    Rachelle Mangubat at 206-252-0036 (last name A-K)
    Harjinder Kaur at 206-252-0035 (last name L-Z)

    Online application problems – can't upload, isn't working.

    We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with Neogov, our online application system. Neogov’s Helpline handles all applicant questions and/or issues as you are completing your online application or having trouble logging into your account.
    NeoGov Helpline: 1-855-524-5627.

    What if I forgot my Username or Password?

    Click on the Applicant Login link from the Job Opportunities page at Use the “forgot my password” link directly below the username/password login box. The system will send you an email with your information. Please be sure to check your spam/junk mail folders and add to your “safe sender” list to make sure you get this email. If you do not receive an email, contact NEOGOV Customer Support at 1-855-524-5627 and follow the prompts for "applicant" assistance.

    The job posting is closing very soon and I am having technical issues completing the application, is there any way I can still apply after it closes?

    No. Only applications received by the closing date will be considered. Please note that the system will close the job posting at the date and time listed on the announcement. If you have not submitted the application before this date and time (if you are in the process of completing the application), you will not be able to submit your application.

    How do I find where job openings are posted? Can I apply for a position in person? I don’t have access to a computer; could I turn in my resume to apply?

    Positions are posted as they become available.

    Please visit our webpage

    You need to use a computer to complete an online job application. Here are some suggestions:

    • Come into the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence (JSCEE)’s lobby at 2445 3rd Avenue South, Seattle 98134, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday and use one of the two available computers. You must have an email address in order to apply online. If you do not have one, then you must create one through gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc. prior to coming to JSCEE.
    • Use a public computer at a Seattle Public Library Branch.
    • Ask a family member or friend who has Internet access if you can use their computer.

    Benefits Questions

    Employee benefits are managed by our outside benefits administrator Sprague Israel Giles. Please contact them directly at 206-957-7066 or visit the benefits website.

    Where can I find the Human Resources forms?

    Human Resources forms can be found on the HR Forms webpage. If you have having trouble finding a particular form, please contact the HR front desk at 206-252-0215.